Current Position :
Associate Professor of Disarmament Studies
Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi
- India's Nuclear Strategy
- India-Pakistan Relations
- Kashmir Conflict
- Indian Foreign Policy
Previous Academic and Research Positions:
- Assistant Professor, CIPOD, School of International Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University (December 2008 to August 2015).
- Assistant Professor, Department of Strategic and Regional Studies, University of Jammu, Jammu and Kashmir, India (from June 2004 to November 2008).
- Visiting Professor , at the FondationMaison des Sciences de l'Homme Paris (1-31 July, 2015). www.fmsh.fr
- Visiting Scholar, International Programs, Cooperative Monitoring Center, Sandia National Laboratories, USA (May 1 - July 18, 2014)
- Visiting Fellow, Nelson Mandela Centre for Peace and
Conflict Resolution, Jamia Millia Islamia University, New
Delhi (January 2006-November 2008).
- Visiting Fellow, Slavic Research Centre, Hokkaido
University, Japan. (December 2009 to February 2010).
- Assistant Professor, Department of Strategic and Regional
Studies, University of Jammu, Jammu and Kashmir, India (From
June 2004 to November 2008).
- Guest Faculty at the Centre for International Politics,
Organisation and Disarmament, School of International
Studies, JNU, New Delhi (January 2008 - May 2008).
- Senior Research Associate, Delhi Policy Group, New Delhi
(January 2007-August 2007).
- Associate Fellow, Centre for Air Power Studies, New Delhi
(August 2006-January 2007).
- Research Associate, Observer Research Foundation (ORF),
New Delhi - October 2003-June 2004.
- Research Assistant, Project on Human Security in India,
School of International Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru
University, New Delhi (April 2002-October 2003)
- Research Officer, Security and Political Risk Analysis (SAPRA
India), February- April 2002).
- Taught social science subjects in various schools in Jammu
and Kashmir (1997-1998)
- Senior Global Challenges Fellow , Institute of Advanced Study and School of Public Policy, Central European University, Budapest.
- The Takshashila Bangalore Fellow , at the Takshashila Institution, Bangalore. 18019 August, 2016
- Visiting Professorship at the FondationMaison des Sciences de l'Homme (http://www.fmsh.fr/en), Paris from July 1 to July 31, 2015.
- Invited to be in residence at the RashtrapatiBhavan (the official residence of the President of India) by the President as an "Inspired Teacher" from 6th June to 12th June, 2015. The in-residence programme for inspired teachers, announced by the President at the annual conference of vice-chancellors of central universities on February 5, 2015, defines an Inspired Teacher as "a value-oriented, mission-driven, self-motivated and result-oriented individual who works towards impacting the environment in a positive manner through his own actions as well as by imparting knowledge amongst students to help them achieve their potential".
- Co-Directed project on "Nuclearisation of South Asia: Implications for India's National Security", funded by the Indian Council of Social Science Research (ICSSR). The project, based at the School of International Studies, JNU, is an attempt at comprehensively understanding the impact of nuclear weapons on India's security environment (2013-2015)
- Emerging Leader Fellow-2013, instituted by the
Australia India Institute, Melbourne University, Australia.
In residence at the Melbourne University from June 1 to July
- "Personnalite d'Avenir" at the French Foreign Ministry,
Paris (5-12 June, 2011) as part of the Programme
d'invitation des personnalites d'avenir. "The Program
selects young prominent personalities ranging from 25 to 40
years of age from all over the world who are just starting
their career. The Program focuses on elected officials or
politicians, top officials, academics or representatives
from civil society who have spent little or no time in
France, and who have a growing influence on their country's
affairs and at times, on their country's relations with
- Visiting Research Fellowship (December 2009 to February
2010) at the Slavic Research Centre, Hokkaido University,
- Research fellowship by the AIDS, Security and Conflict
Initiative (2007), an initiative by the Clingendael
Institute and the Social Science Research Council (SSRC)
(July 2007-December 2007) to write a paper on the "Impact of
HIV/AIDS on Governance in Manipur and Nagaland".
- Canadian Studies Faculty Research Fellowship - 2008-9,
awarded by the Department of Foreign Affairs and
International Trade, government of Canada and administered
by the Shastri Indo-Canadian Institute, New Delhi. Research
award undertaken from June 5, 2008 to July 10, 2008 at the
Graduate School of Public and International Affairs,
University of Ottawa, Canada.
- Kodikara Award (2004) for young South Asian scholars to
research on South Asian strategic and international issues
with a problem solving approach. Instituted by the Regional
Centre for Strategic Studies (RCSS, Colombo: www.rcss.org).
- Reviewer, for manuscripts and/or proposals submitted to
Zed Books, Anthem Press, and Cambridge University Press.
- Subject Expert, Union Public Service Commission, New Delhi
- Ph.D., Centre for International Politics, Organization
and Disarmament, SIS, JNU
- M. Phil, Centre for Studies in Diplomacy, International
Law and Economics, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi
- M. A, (International Relations), Mahatma Gandhi
University, Kerala (First Rank)
- B. A Panjab University, Chandigarh
- B. Ph (Bachelor in Philosophy) Jnana Deepa Vidyapeeth,
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Journalism, Rajendra Prasad
Institute of Communication, Mumbai (Kottayam branch).
- Qualified the University Grants Commission test for
lectureship in Politics including International Relations
- Member, International Council, Pugwash Conference of
Science and World Affairs, www. pugwash.org
- Was Secretary, International Relations Association,
Mahatma Gandhi University, Kerala.
- Was elected member of the Mahatma Gandhi University and
Jawaharlal Nehru University Students Unions.